engine: A machine that converts energy into motion.
You have the energy to study English. Please use this daily "English Engine" to help you turn that energy into forward motion in your English learning adventure.
Scroll down to the list of words. Then follow these suggestions to be sure you learn them well.
- Check the part of speech to be sure you understand the word's function in a sentence.
- Click on the underlined word to look it up in My Favorite Dictionary. (You can even use a translation tool at the end of the page to see the word in your own language.)
- Click on the speaker to hear the American English and/or the British English pronunciation.
- Read the synonyms and antonyms for the word in the section marked Thesaurus.
- Scroll down to the section marked References in classic literature. Read the word in the context of well-known English literature.
- Click on the Idioms tab at the top of the page to check for idioms using the word.
- Make a flashcard, add the word to your Quizlet list, or use another favorite vocabulary tool.
- Try to write a few sentences with the words. You might want to submit them for writing correction.
We all need to introduce ourselves occasionally, whether online or in person. Here are some ideas to help you create an interesting, meaningful introduction of yourself.I hope this helps you to begin an interesting new friend or acquaintance!
Name - My name is
but I prefer to be called
but my friends call me
but you can call me
but please call me
Where you live
I live in an apartment about 15 minutes from the center of Tokyo.
I live in a house in the country.
I live in Paris, in an apartment building, on the 3rd floor.
Length of time studying English - I have been studying English...
for 3 years
almost 2 months
only during the summer
Your job or profession
I work as...
My job is to...
I am a...
What I like best about my job is...
I am married/single.
I have no/two/eleven children, two boys and 3 girls. They are 24, 18 and 4.
We have a dog, two cats and some fish.
Hobbies or interests
In my free time, I like to
I am very interested in
I have many hobbies, including
One of the things I like to do when I have some spare time is
Everybody Loves English is one of the most popular sites for
English Writing Correction
on the Internet.
There many correction options, from basic to enhanced, which includes footnotes explaining the corrections for GOLD members of the membership site. These members are eligible for unlimited writing corrections every month!
(n, v) supply
go to town
I hope this free English lesson is helpful.
See you tomorrow for the next lesson!
Schedule English Conversations
English Membership Site
© 2008-2012 Julie Mockerman
A division of Brookwater Group, LLC